Sunday, October 19, 2008

Not so good news.

Doug and I went to my doctor's appointment Friday and boy what an adventure!
First, they canceled my doctor's appointment and ultrasound I had scheduled because the doctor I was supposed to see was in surgery (wow, an OB in surgery - there's a shocker). They said they left me a message on Monday. Which in all honesty they probably did since I'm terrible at checking voice messages. But, there was no reason to cancel the ultrasound since I don't have to see the doc right after that. So in a rather snarky tone I informed the receptionist that I HAD to see someone today and that if she would look in my chart she'd see that the whole reason for the ultrasound was for checking cervical length because I'm high risk for preterm labor. And, it would be a great idea to get me in and get me checked since I had been contracting since Wednesday - and I was going to be mad if I had to go to L&D because someone cancelled my ultrasound for no reason! She said she'd get me in and get me monitored and that Dr Fassler was on call today. Great! He's my regular doctor anyway.
So they put me in to get monitored which was not fun. It's great to listen to Fi's heartbeat. And like the last time we were on the monitor the little show-off decided that would be a good time for hiccups and gymnastics. In order to monitor you they have you in a reclined position which is not comfortable for either of us the way she is sitting. It really makes it difficult to breathe. I even had to stop talking to Doug durring a couple of the small contractions I had. Not because of the intensity since they don't really hurt, but because when the uterus raises durring a contraction it would press on my lungs making it hard to catch a breath. More proof that she will be born with me in an upright position or I'm going to hyperventilate.
After an hour of this we are finally led to the exam room where we sat for another hour. I've actually spent more time waiting than I have in with the doctors. Dr Fassler is a gem. He really is. But the wait just sucks! He finally makes it in and I explained what was going on. By this time we were running late for Doug to pick up his badge from the airport. I explained this too. He said that he would check me and see where we're at. He asked if I was still working and I said yes but from home. I think had I not been working from home he would have told me I had to stop. I told him I didn't do alot of running around and that I did try to stay down as much as possible. Apparently I need to try harder. He checked my cervix and said that I am dilated to one on the outside and still closed on the inside but thinning and softening more than he would like with my history. He gave me a Rx and told me that I was not to be up any more than absolutely necessary. Great. I'm trying. I'm horrible at it but I'm trying. We want to go three more weeks. Not only because we want to have her born at home but for her health. Dr Fassler said that at this point she's really just adding in the extra and that he's not worried about her, but all the extra growing time she can manage is great. He said he's on call for the next two weekends if I need anything but that he better not see me!
I am doing OK with the changes. Now. Friday was hard. I'm just trying to stay put. My body knows this is the best option because every time I'm up for more than a couple minutes my feet swell to painful proportions. Even now with them not elevated it's difficult. Doug is being really great and really supportive. I know he won't let the house fall down around us. We may eat pizza for the next 3 weeks but we'll be fine!

No comments: