Friday, January 30, 2009

Two month check up

Fiona had her two-month well baby check up today. She is 12lbs 9oz! That's more than three pounds since birth! WOW!
We met Dr Merrill for the first time today and I like him. He offers his opinion but said "you're a pro at this by now". He applauded the fact that she was breast fed and chunky. He was happy about our breastfeeding goals - at least one year, up to two. He didn't bash us for co-sleeping for part of the night, but gave us information on how to help get Fi to sleep in her own bed and for longer. He made mention of moving her crib out of our room for better sleep when she was about 6 months old but we'll get to that when we get to it and that we need to be careful that we don't squish her and use common sense. I don't like the idea of moving her at the moment but we'll see in 4 more months. I find that I am more paranoid with her than I was with the other girls. A lot of the decisions I never consciously made - it was just how we did it. Now that I feel I have the choice I find that my decisions have not changed. I'm not sure why I am so much more worried about her than I was the others. Maybe now that I have less personal stuff to worry about I transfer that to my children. I find I worry more about all of them more now. Maybe we're just faced with more to worry about than a decade ago.
Fiona got her first shots today. I forgot how gut wrenching it can be to have to hold your little one while they get hurt. When we were talking to Dr. Merrill he asked us if she had received the Hep B vaccine in the hospital. I told him that we had not and didn't find it necessary right now. For the most part I agree with the vaccines but I think we can skip the one for the STD. Thankfully he was supportive and just said "you'll probably have to sign a waiver for school" but that was it. It was really nice to have a doctor that supported my position as a mom!
Well, she's finally quiet. We've got the "I-got-shots-today-cranky" going on. I'm going to try to sneak in a bath before the next meltdown.

No comments: