Part 1 was getting a little long, so I thought I'd break it up a bit.
I did get started right away yesterday. I'm struggling to not drop everything for the next week and finish it. So I'm going as I can. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. I did warn Doug that our living room is going to be in a state of half-mess until I get this done. He said he's fine with it. (Can anyone find me the process for declaring someone a living saint please?)
So I didn't have the sense to start taking pictures before I started tearing things apart. Oh well.
I figured I would start on the chair first. It's a little easier - read smaller - than the couch, but will give me more impact than the ottoman. I removed the cover from the back cushion and pulled the seams apart. I wanted to use it for a basic pattern and to make sure I got the size of everything right. Then I ironed the pieces and cut the fabric. Putting in the pleats was challenging. But, when you're trying to put 12 layers of fabric through a home sewing machine, your bound to find some problems. I was able to salvage the zippers that were already there. Which is great, and something I didn't think to do when I was planning all this. But, they're the right size and are actually pretty easy to work with, plus they're FREE! I was really happy with how the back cushion came out. The pleats don't match up perfectly on one of the corners, but it's really not something you can tell. I think I need to add some more batting to it.
The T cushion was a little harder. Getting the cover off to make the pattern was a pain in the ass! Those things are on there SNUG! But after some cussing and pulling I was able to get it off. The T cushion was a little more difficult to sew. The rounded edges in a box shape is complicated. But I made it work. I came into a little bit of an issue at the end when I was trying to finish off the zipper. It just wasn't matching up right. So I put the cover on the cushion - it looks awesome - and figured out what the issue was. When you're cutting pattern pieces from an old cushion there are a couple things to keep in mind. The pattern is not exact like from the factory. I cut a little wide to give myself some bigger seams. Also, I was patterning from a piece of material that was not in the best of conditions. It was frayed, worn and stretched out. So, I'll be closing up the final hem by hand. I think it made putting it on a little easier so I'm not going to complain. It's the back of the cushion anyway so no one will ever see it.
So, here is what I have finished so far. It took about 6 hours. I wanted to start pulling the couch cushions apart to be ready to start today but my right hand was hurting too much to mess with the scissors (I have arthritis in that hand and pregnancy induced carpal tunnel - whee.) Let me know what you think!
So that's it folks. I'll be updating and uploading more pictures as I go along. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. I would like this done before the baby comes. (That was totally sarcastic, I swear)