Monday, November 2, 2009

23 for Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving just over 3 weeks away I am in full planning mode. I love Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday. It wasn't always, but it is now.
I had to remind my introverted husband the other day that he loves me and does so for who I am as I revealed that at this point, without everyone invited coming or confirmed, we are at 23 for dinner.
"23?!?!?!?!"
*GRIN* "Yup!"
"23? Really?"
"So far"
"23 - So far? How many people did you invite?"
"Everybody"
Everybody is invited for dinner. It's Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is great. Thanksgiving is easy. Even for 23. Or more.
I have so very much to be thankful for that I have come to embrace Thanksgiving. I love all that the holiday stands for. As an adult I have learned that it is not the re-enactment of history that our school system would lead us to believe. I know that we are not celebrating the coming together of two peoples because of a common goal. We have moved past celebrating the actual harvest. What we are celebrating is being thankful for what the year has given to us. If you believe that you will reap what you sow then this is the time to be thankful for those things. I have a lot to be thankful for. I have a good life and a good family. I am loved. I have people to love. My daughters and husband are healthy. My house is warm. I have food in my cupboards and friends to spend time with. I have inconsequential things to bitch about. Life is GOOD and I am THANKFUL! So yes, bring on the people and the food and fill my house to the rafters with laughter and love!!
This is not my grandmother's Thanksgiving. We will eat at noon-ISH. You can come in your jammies if you wish. If you feel like you would like to bring something bring it. If you don't or you can't then come anyway. This is the one day of the year I feel like having someone say Grace before the meal. Richard, this is your gig by the way. Dinner is buffet style and "excuse me" and "can you scoop me some of that, too" and lots of elbows and hands reaching and people together enjoying the day. This is 23 (or more) people being thankful together. I'm looking forward to those who can "just drop in for a minute" and for those who can stay all day.
For reasons I'm not quite sure of the girls are not going to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving this year. I'm excited that they will be here with us but I am sad for them that they will miss out on this with their father. Allie asked me if I would let their dad come for Thanksgiving. I think I surprised her when I said that yes, he would be welcome here. Of course. Absolutely. She surprised me even more when she invited him! I'm not sure what he told her but I'm sure he declined. I did explain that what ever reason they had for not bringing them to him for Thanksgiving would also prevent him from coming here. I am glad to see that the spirit of the holiday is with her. It's about family and those that you love. He is our family and is welcome.
I hope 23 is not our final number. I hope to see many more people that day. If you can make it - great! If you can not I hope you enjoy where you are for the day.

Does anyone have any extra chairs? ;-)

No comments: