Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thank You Ladies

Last night I had a great time with a fantastic group of ladies. I want to thank them all for their laughter, their joy, their friendship and their support.
Too often as women we isolate ourselves. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we never truly out grow that gangly, awkward stage that we are so hormonally catapulted into sometime around 11. We are then bombarded by the social "ideal" that only a scant 1% has any hope to achieve. I like to live with my own delusions that even they are afraid they don't measure up and are somehow found wanting. This is what gets me through the day. It si not until the journey has left it's map on our bodies and our faces that there is the slightest glimmer of recognition that we just might be OK just the way we are. Unfortunately if you stick more than one of us in a room the sad reality is that we are again that unsure adolescent. Does she like me? Does she not? Does she like my hair/clothes/shoes/make up? Am I too fat/skinny/tall/short/loud/quiet? Will they get my jokes and my sense of humor? Did that just sound stupid? The list that we all bring with us is endless.
The joy in tonight was being able to sit with this dozen plus group of ladies and watch the camaraderie. You can watch the insecurities fade away before your eyes. There are ladies I know better than others and I look forward to getting to know them all better. The weaknesses and struggles are all still there but are drowned out by the conversation and laughter. That was the whole point to getting together tonigh. To leave the worries and endless responsibilities of our everyday lives at home and enjoy the support of those kindred souls. Those who must also put aside their own insecurities and ask for and give acceptance.
Thank you, again my friends, for a night of joy and laughter. Thank you for the opportunity to get to know each of you just a little bit more. I'm looking forward to many more nights like this.

No comments: