Sunday, January 24, 2010

Brace Yourself


Jane got her braces on yesterday. She's really excited about it and I'm excited for her. Jane and Allie both got my horrible palate, but thankfully we (and her dad) are in a position to fix it.  Allie will be next this summer.
She did really good. She started in April with an expander to widen her narrow palate and help move things around. I'm amazed at the difference it's made in just a few short months. Now the braces, only four brackets on the top, will help straighten the rest and hopefully prevent or at least lessen the need for full mouth braces later.
Her whole world has shrunk down to the size of these four little brackets with pink rubber bands. "I didn't know that when you had braces..." or "my braces". Doug and I had to remind each other that while this is nothing serious to us, it's the most exciting thing to happen to her in the last 10 years! The up side to this is that she was off and running to brush her teeth right after dinner "Because when you have braces you have to brush really good all the time". Or so we were told.

Kid in braces - check. Kid in high school- check. Pre-teen perpetually grounded - check. Toddler - check. Looks like my Mom Bingo card is almost full!

No comments: