Monday, August 18, 2008

Chaos reigns supreme

and all is right with the universe!
Allie and Jane came home yesterday after almost 2 months! I'll definitely say that those extra 2 weeks made a huge difference and I'm not sure I'll agree to the extra time again. It's selfish I know but I missed my girls! Doug was too funny. He woke up at about 6 after a very restless night. I turned over to him staring at me. As soon as I opened my eyes he said "the girls come home today, Honey!!!". Anyone who knows Doug knows he's not functioning that early, let alone smiling.
Yesterday was a big day. After a little bit of relaxing and hugs it was back to life as usual. Rooms had to be cleaned and laundry had to be done. They did spend a lot of time outside riding their bikes and letting their friends know they're home. I think Allie actually called everyone she knew!
There is always a period of adjustment when they come home. Their table manners were horrid and they have they have picked up the habit of "playfully smacking". The latter an absolutely unacceptable behavior. I understand the rules at their dad's house are much more lax than here but it's hard to believe that such disrespect to an adult, especially a parent, is tolerated. It was still hard to believe. We did have a firm discussion at dinner (having the whole family back at the table was WONDERFUL) that they are home now and home rules apply. There are some adjustments to be made and some new rules for this year. But we all agree that it is going to be a great year!
We discussed new-found responsibility with Allie since she will be going into middle school this year. How she will be responsible for her own self each morning and will be responsible for getting herself up and ready for school by 6:40. I will definitely say it is not something she is looking forward to! We also explained that everything from what assignment she has in each class to what she has for lunch is available for us to see online and late or missing assignments will NOT be tolerated.
Jane is also excited about being on her own this year. She will be responsible for getting up and ready for school without having Allie there for company. This will be a big challenge for her to be more independent.
Krystyne is even excited to have her sisters home (although I doubt you could get that out of her even under torture!). While there were a few initial scuffles by dinner they were all laughing and joking with each other. Krysty is also looking forward to the new year and I think learned from her mistakes last year.
They are all super excited about the baby and seem anxious for her to be here. Aren't we all.
Balancing working from home and the girls home now is going to be a challenge. But honestly I think it may be easier. They are so helpful that I think we'll fall into a groove pretty easily.

The world is in order again!

No comments: